Monday, October 28, 2013

My Discourse Community

For my discourse community I chose the wedding venue job I work at. I chose the job because I have worked there for a year and I am very comfortable with explaining the job. I also have played soccer or gone to church with almost all the staff I work with. This makes it much easier to hold an interview and get good response from the person I choose to interview.
I have several ways to define this job as a discourse community:
-Our common goal as a staff is to ensure the wedding party has a pleasant experience, and to especially ensure the bride and groom had a good, memorable wedding.
-Our talk is predominantly what is necessary for the job. It involves us having a specific social standard with guests and also elegant set ups for tables and chairs and many more activities the job requires.
-Our group can be easily seen by our dress code as to how we all have black vests, shoes, pants, ties,and then a white collard shirt.
-There aren't too many skill levels to the job, but a lot of times we may need to call in friends of ours to work when we are short on staff. These moments I would consider a situation when an outsider is coming in. They tend to be very confused since it is a new job and it requires a good bit of teaching from the insiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment